Search for:

School Information

What is the school policy for international students?

Accademia Riaci welcomes students from all over the world. The diverse background of Accademia Riaci’s students creates a rich multicultural community that promotes the exchange of ideas and viewpoints. The staff is multilingual and ready to assist international students wherever they attend our programs.

Are there courses taught in English?

As the majority of our students are English speakers (native or as a second language), all courses are taught with free English interpretation service (translator on-site).

When are the Application Deadlines?

LONG-TERM PROGRAMS (One-Year Course, Semester Course, Master Course): EU Students – By 30 days prior to the course commencement date. Non-EU Students – By 60~90 days prior to the course commencement date (depends on the visa application process). SHORT-TERM PROGRAMS (Art Short Course, Summer Intensive Course, Christmas Course): Students (All Nationalities) – By 30 days prior to the course commencement date (in order to secure a spot in the class, we suggest students apply at least 60 days before the course start date).

Is the enrollment fee refundable?

The enrollment fee is NON-REFUNDABLE, unless in cases where you are not admitted to Accademia Riaci.

Do I have to take an Italian Class?

No, you don’t have to take an Italian class to attend our programs. However, the school offers Italian Language classes all through the year.

Do I get a certificate at the end of the course?

Yes. Accademia Riaci grants a Certificate of Attendance (short-term programs) or a Diploma (long-term programs) upon successful completion of the course.

Do I need to submit a portfolio?

A student portfolio is required only for admissions to the Master Course. It must include 12 works that best reflect the student’s artistic style. For other courses and conditions, portfolio submission is optional.

How many class absences are allowed?

As a minimum of 80% of class attendance is required for graduation and Diploma eligibility, absences are generally not allowed.

How will I get to class?

You can either walk or take local buses. Please note that there are no subways in Florence.

It is the teaching method different than that in my country?

The teaching method in Italy may be very different from those in your home country. This is a part of the experience of being a student in Italy. In each country, the educational system has its own characteristics. Often students meet together in small groups to study together. Joining one of these study groups is quite easy and will be very helpful in making the transition to a new school system.


What are the meal arrangements?

Students usually eat out or cook their meals at their shared apartments. Fresh foods are readily available in both grocery stores and indoor and outdoor markets throughout the city. The school does not have a cafeteria.
The “Summer Intensive Course” includes daily meal o drink vouchers.

How far is the school’s housing from the school and the city centre?

All the accommodations are conveniently located within 20~30 minutes by bus/bicycle from the school and the city centre.

Is WIFI available at the school’s housing?

Only some apartment has a WIFI connection, but its availability and the cost depend on the apartment and cannot be chosen by the student. The apartment telephone must not be used except for emergency, or explicit agreement with the landlord.
The school building has 24/7 free WIFI.

Financial Support Information

Does Accademia Riaci provide financial aid?

Accademia Riaci grants partial scholarships according to the student’s nationality and portfolio. Each scholarship covers a percentage of the tuition fee (usually around 20%). We do not grant full scholarships. Please note that the scholarship does not cover housing and living expenses or any other extras.

Can I work in Italy even if I am NOT Italian?

According to Italian law, foreign students are allowed to work part-time up to 20 hours a week.

Practical Information

Do I need a VISA to study in Italy?

It depends on your NATIONALITY (passport) and on your COURSE DURATION.

The citizens of the following (non-EU) countries, do NOT require a visa to study in Italy for a maximum of 90 days (12 weeks): Albania, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominica, El Salvador, Georgia, Guatemala, Grenada, Honduras, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Korea (ROK), Malaysia, Macao, Mauritius, Mexico, Montenegro, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Northern Mariana Islands, North Macedonia, Panama, Paraguay, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Samoa, Saint Lucia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Taiwan, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, UAE, Ukraine, USA, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela.

A “Schengen Visa” is required for all other citizens.

If you plan on staying in the country for longer than 90 days, you need to apply for a “National Visa” (type D) at your local Italian embassy/consulate.

Should I open a bank account in Italy?

If you have a bank account with an international cash card (compatible to the “PLUS”, “CIRRUS”, or “VISA”), you will have direct access to your account through the compatible most of ATMs in the city, making a local bank account unnecessary. However, If you wish to open an account with an Italian bank while abroad, you must obtain an application form from a branch of an Italian bank (either in Italy or your home country). You need to select a branch from the list provided, which should be close to your home or place of business in Italy.

Should I bring my own laptop?

If you are going to take design classes (Interior Design, Graphic Design, Product Design, Shoe Design, Bag Design, Fashion Design, Jewelry Design), we strongly recommend you to bring your laptop to study during the lessons, as well as working on your assignments. If you already have software like Illustrator or Photoshop installed, it would be preferable, but it is not necessary. If you do not have a laptop, you can use one of the school’s computers.

How do I spend my free time in Florence?

Florence is a city of endless possibilities! You can’t possibly see all of the hundreds of historical monuments and museums that are located throughout Florence! The morning might find you taking espresso with the locals at a sidewalk cafe, sitting on the walls along the Arno River, reading a book in the sun or watching the day’s bread being made in a “pasticceria”. Spend the afternoon hiking in Fiesole and the hills around Florence, watching the tourists crowd around the Gates of Paradise or shopping in Mercato of San Lorenzo. Eating an Italian meal, chatting at a wine bar, or dancing at one of the many discos…all of these activities can take up your whole evening! On the weekends, you can travel to the Tuscan beaches, Rome, Milan and any other city. Do everything that you can, every day, because your time abroad flies by!

What is the weather like?

The weather in Florence is generally pretty mild. The summer is quite warm and often sticky. The winter brings the cold wind from the North. While the surrounding mountains get most of the snow, rain does fall frequently. Check out any forecast source you trust for the most up to date info on weather in Florence.

How much money will I need a week for daily life?

Habits vary enormously from student to student. If you do not include travel or leisure expenditures but only the very basic needs to survive you can budget a minimum of 150~200 euros a week.

Does Italy have the same voltage as the United States?

Electricity in Italy, as in the rest of Europe, comes out of the wall socket at 220 volts alternating at 50 cycles per second. In the US, electricity comes out of the wall socket at 110 volts, alternating at 60 cycles per second. In Italy, the power plugs and sockets are of type F and L. We suggest students bring a universal travel adapter.